Embassy of Sweden - Renovation and Restoration - Canberra
Projects / Diplomatic / Heritage / Interiors
Client National Property Board of Sweden
Constructed in the early 1950s, the Embassy of Sweden has significant status as one of the original purpose built diplomatic buildings in Canberra and was the recipient of the 1952 Sir John Sulman Medal for architectural merit. Guida Moseley Brown Architects were appointed by the National Property Board of Sweden to lead the redevelopment and restoration process of the aging premises.
The extensive renovation included redesigning the chancery interiors to reflect changing work practices, contemporary office and security requirements, all new building services, replacing the existing copper roof with new copper laid in the original style, redevelopment of existing residential staff accommodation, and remodeling the official residence of the Ambassador, all while preserving and restoring the heritage fabric of the building as well as broad site hardening for security. The design sought to preserve many of the original fixtures and fittings as well as restore existing materials which originated from Sweden and were incorporated into the original construction.